Southern Fried Chickenless Chicken
We will be substituting the chicken for this recipe with tofu. Traditionally it would be seasoned and then deep fried. We are marinated the tofu to replace the seasoning and although deep frying we are also putting it in the oven to ensure a well flavoured dish. Great on a barbecue.
- Firm Tofu - 2 Blocks, Frozen Then Defrosted
- Oil - For Deep Frying
- Vegan Margarine - For Greasing
- Olive Oil - 100mls (½ Cup), For Marinade
- Lemon - Juice of Half, For Marinade
- Tomato Purée - 1 Tbsp, For Marinade
- Sage - 1 Tsp, For Marinade
- Cayenne Powder - ½ Tsp, For Marinade
- Mixed Herbs - ½ Tsp, For Marinade
- White Pepper - ¼ Tsp, For Marinade
- Black Pepper - ¼ Tsp, For Marinade
- Bread - 1 Slice, For Batter
- Egg Replacement - 4, For Batter
- Plain Flour - 4 ozs (1Cup), For Batter
- Soya Milk - 200mls (1 Cup), For Batter
- Squeeze as much liquid from the tofu as possible and cut each block in half.
- To make the marinate into a container large enough to fit the tofu place all the marinate ingredients and beat well together.
- Soak the tofu in the container, cover with the marinate sauce and leave in the fridge overnight.
- To make the batter place the slice of bread in a food processor and whisk until breadcrumbs have formed and put in a bowl.
- Sieve in the flour and add the salt, mix together.
- Make up egg replacers according to packet instructions and beat in the milk. Add to the bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Drop the tofu pieces in one at a time and coat well.
- Heat enough oil to cover the tofu in a heavy large saucepan. Carefully place the tofu piece in and cook until golden in colour.
- Repeat the process until all four are fried and leave to cool.
- Pre heat oven to 200c and grease a large baking tray.
- Place the pieces of tofu on the baking tray and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
TIP: If using on the barbecue cook transfer the pieces to the barbecue and cook for at least 30 minutes.