This American classic is a savoury treat traditional in the south of America, we have used tinned sweetcorn instead of the more commonly used fresh sweetcorn. You normally deep fry them but we have shallowed fried.
- Make up egg replacer according to packet instructions and beat in the milk.
- Mash the sweetcorn into small pieces and place in a bowl. Add the egg replacer and stir well.
- In another bowl mix together the plain flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the sweetcorn mixture and beat together until a thick batter has formed. Leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Heat enough oil to cover the surface of a heavy large frying pan or skillet. Drop a quarter of the mixture in and shape into a round using a wooden spatula.
- Cook for at least three minutes on each side and remove when golden brown.
- Repeat the process until all four are cooked and serve.
TIP: We wanted our sweetcorn very finely mashed so blended them in a food processor.