American Pumpkin pie is a traditional sweet dessert, often eaten during the autumn and early winter, especially for Thanksgiving and Christmas. There are many variations, but generally they are flavoured with nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger.
- Pumpkin - 14 ozs (2½ Cups), Chopped
- Water - 400mls (2 Cups), Cold
- Puff Pastry - 8 ozs (1 Cup)
- Silken Tofu - 8 ozs (1 Cup)
- Caster Sugar - 3 ozs (¾ Cup)
- Egg Replacement - 4
- Soya Milk - 2 Tbsp
- Vanilla Essence - 1 Tsp
- Ground Cinnamon - 1 Tsp
- Ground Ginger - ½ Tsp
- Ground Nutmeg - ¼ Tsp
- Salt - ¼ Tsp
- Vegan Margarine - For Greasing
- Plain Flour - For Rolling Out On
- Preheat oven to 180c and grease an 10 inch oven proof flan dish at least 1 inch in depth.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board large enough to fit inside the flan.
- Place the pastry carefully in the flan dish and press down. Line with greaseproof paper. Pour in dried beans, enough to cover the surface and cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, leave to cool on a wire rack. Then grease proof paper and dried beans.
- Place the pumpkin into a saucepan with the cold water. Bring to the boil then reduce to a medium heat and cook until tender. Remove from heat, drain and leave to cool.
- Make up egg replacer according to packet instructions.
- Into a food processor blend the tofu and vanilla essence until smooth, add half the sugar and half the egg mixture blend again for a further minute.
- Mash the pumpkin, nutmeg, salt, ginger, cinnamon and milk together.
- Beat in the rest of the sugar and egg into the pumpkin mixture.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie case and smooth over until level.
- Carefully cover all over with the tofu mixture and cook in the oven for one hour. Then turn off oven but leave pie inside for a further hour.
TIP: Because we wanted a smooth constituency we blend this in a food processor.