American Style Apple Pie
Apple pie is a symbol of America and is very a popular dessert. The North American version uses cinnamon and is the recipe we have adapted here.
- Puff Pastry - 16 ozs (2 Cups)
- Caster Sugar - 1 ozs (½ Cup)
- Apple - 4, Large
- Egg Replacement - 1
- Plain Flour - 2 Tbsp
- Vegan Margarine - 1 Tbsp
- Soya Milk - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice - 1 Tbsp
- Ground Nutmeg - ¼ Tsp
- Ground Cinnamon - ¼ Tsp
- Vegan Margarine - For Greasing
- Plain Flour - For Rolling Out On
- Dried Beans - For Blind Baking
- Preheat oven to 170c and grease a 8 inch round pie dish at least 2 inches deep.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface large enough to fit the dish and also cut out a lid. Carefully place the base in the pie dish allowing the edges to fall over the sides slightly, press down and line with greaseproof paper. Fill with dried beans to cover and cook for 15 minutes, remove from oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a small bowl.
- Peel, de-core and slice the apples. Place half in the pie dish and cover with half the sugar mixture. Place the rest of the apples on top and cover with the remainder of the sugar mixture.
- Pour over the lemon juice and sieved the 2 tbsp of flour over, now dot over with margarine.
- To make the glaze make up egg replacer according to packet instructions and beat in the milk. Brush the edges of the pastry dish with the glaze and carefully place the pastry lid on top. Press down with a fork to seal.
- Glaze the lid all over and make air vents by piercing with a fork several times. Cook for one hour at 160c.