A change from the normal picnic food these aubergine slices can be as hot and spicy as you like.
- Slice the aubergine lengthways and sprinkle with salt and leave for 10 minutes.
- Pre heat oven to 210c and grease a large baking tray.
- Slice the aubergine into thick slices and place on baking tray, brush with olive oil.
- Mix the black pepper, chilli powder, salt, mixed herbs, paprika and cumin together in a small bowl and spread half over the aubergines.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes, turn the slices over and brush with oil, cover with remaining spices and herbs and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Make up egg replacer according to packet instructions.
- Mix in the garlic paste, lemon juice, sugar and tomato purée.
- Coat the slices in the egg batter and fry on both sides until brown.