Hummus is nutritional and very versatile being used with dips or in sandwiches/rolls. By making your own you can get the exact flavour you want and spice it up if desired. As well as a traditional hummus recipe, there are two variations.
- Chickpeas - 14 ozs (2 Cups), Tinned/Jarred/Hydrated
- Water - 500mls (2 Cups)
- Lemon Juice - From Half a Lemon
- Tahini - 1 Tbsp
- Black Pepper - ¼ Tsp
- Olive Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic Paste - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato Purée - 2 Tbsp, For Tomato Version
- Chilli Oil - 1 Tsp, For Tomato Version
- Mixed Herbs - 1 Tsp, For Tomato Version
- Avocado - 1, Mashed, For Avocado Version
- Mild Curry Powder - 1 Tbsp, For Avocado Version
- Put chick peas into a saucepan with the water and bring to boil, turn the heat down slightly and cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain, rinse and put into blender, add lemon, tahini, black pepper and olive oil, blend to desired consistency.
- If you are doing the other versions, simply add the ingredients at the same time as the lemon.
TIP: If you do not have a blender, place ingredients in a shallow dish and mash together with a fork.
TIP: If making as an appetizer, serve with crackers.