Slice fruit loaf makes a change from cakes and biscuits, it is also a lot more filling making it great for pack lunches and picnics.
- Vegan Margarine - 4 ozs (½ Cup)
- Soft Brown Sugar - 8 ozs (1 Cup)
- Tea - 150mls (¾ Cup), Black, Cold
- Mixed Dried Fruit - 4 ozs (1 Cup)
- Self Raising Flour - 3 ozs (¾ Cup)
- Orange Juice - 5 Tbsp
- Cherries - 2 Tbsp, Chopped
- Baking Powder - 1 Tsp
- Dried Yeast - 1 Tsp
- Mixed Spice - ¼ Tsp
- Ground Nutmeg - ¼ Tsp
- Ground Cinnamon - ¼ Tsp
- Soak the mixed fruit and cherries in the orange juice for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180c and line a 10 by 5 inch loaf tin.
- Into a bowl add the margarine and sugar, mix well together until creamy.
- Make up the egg replacer according to packet instructions and add to mixture, beat well in.
- Sieve the flours into another bowl and stir in the dried yeast, baking powder, mixed spice, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add half the tea to the sugar mixture and stir together well, then add half the flour mixture and mix well together.
- Add the rest of the tea and stir well, then add the remainder of the flour mixture and beat well together.
- Stir in the mixed dried fruit along with any orange juice.
- Pour into the loaf tin and cook for 45 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack before removing from tin and serve sliced when cold.
TIP: This loaf improves with age so keep in an airtight container and eat over a few days.