This is a great soup for winter and with the hint of chilli becomes a perfect starter for a Christmas meal.
- Butternut Squash - 1, Medium
- Red Onion - 1, Medium
- Red Pepper - ½, Medium
- Carrot - 1, Medium
- Potato - 1, Medium
- Vegetable Stock - 400 mls (2 Cups)
- Vegan Margarine - 4 ozs (½ Cup)
- Lemon Juice - ½, From 1 Lemon
- Garlic Clove - 3, Crushed
- Olive Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Sesame Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Mixed Herbs - 1 Tsp
- Chilli Powder - ½ Tsp, Mild
- Salt - ½ Tsp
- Black Pepper - ½ Tsp
- Seeds - For Topping
- Croutons - For Topping
- Peel and de-seed butternut squash and cut into cubes
- Peel and slice onion. De-seed and slice red pepper finely.
- Peel and chop carrots into small pieces. Wash and dice the potato.
- Melt the margarine in a large frying pan. Add sesame seed oil, garlic and olive oil, stir in black pepper, salt, mixed herbs, thyme and chilli powder.
- Add squash and mix well, cook on a lower heat for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onion and red pepper, stir and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with croutons and/or seeds.
TIP: Can be made in advance and frozen until required.