Layered Nut Roast
Nut roast is a traditional substitute for most Christmas main meals. This nut roast is slightly different because it is layered.
- Cashews - 6 ozs (1 Cup)
- Brazil Nuts - 5 ozs (1 Cup)
- Almonds - 6 ozs (1 Cup), Blanched
- Walnuts - 4 ozs (1 Cup)
- Breadcrumbs - 4 ozs (1 Cup), Brown
- Breadcrumbs - 4 ozs (1 Cup), White
- Water - 200 mls (1 Cup), Boiling
- Soya Milk - 200 mls (1 Cup)
- Black Pepper - ½ Tsp
- Mixed Herbs - 1 Tsp
- Garlic Paste - 1 Tbsp
- Yeast Extract - 2 Tbsp
- Brown Sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Olive Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Vegan Margarine - For Greasing
- Preheat oven to 180c and grease an 8 inch by 5 inch loaf tin, 3 inches in depth.
- Blend the almonds and cashews until fine and place in a bowl.
- Blend the walnuts and Brazil nuts until fine and place in another bowl.
- Peel and finely dice the onion and fry in 1 Tbsp of olive oil with the garlic paste until soft. Then put into the bowl of almonds and cashews, and mix well.
- De-seed and finely dice the red pepper and fry in 1 Tbsp of olive oil with black pepper and mixed herbs, cook until soft. Then mix into the bowl of walnuts and Brazil nuts.
- Dissolve the yeast extract and brown sauce in boiling water. Add to the bowl of walnuts and Brazil nuts, stir well. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk to the almond and cashew bowl and stir well. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Put half the walnut and Brazil mixture into the loaf tin, cover with the almond and cashew mixture and then pour the remainder of the walnut and Brazil mixture over.
- Cover with tin foil and cook for 1 hour then turn down to 160c and cook for a further 1 hour. Turn down again to 140c, remove the tin foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
TIP: This can be made in advance and frozen.