This is a filling pie to have any time of the year but can easily be used as a valentines meal by placing pastry hearts around the top. We have made it different to an ordinary pie by using both shortcrust and puff pastry.
- Shortcrust Pastry - 18 ozs (500g)
- Soya Chunks - 5 ozs (2 Cups), Dried
- Onion - 1, Small, Finely Sliced
- Carrot - 1, Large, Peeled and Diced
- Potato - 1, Medium, Peeled and Diced
- Peas - 4 Tbsp
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Brown Sauce - 3 Tbsp
- Black Pepper - ½ Tsp
- Olive Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Mint - ½ Tsp
- Parsley - ½ Tsp
- Gravy Browning - 1 Tsp
- Gravy Powder - 2 Tbsp
- Yeast Extract - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 800 mls (4 Cups), Boiling
- Vegan Margarine - For Greasing
- Soya Milk - For Sealing and Glazing
- Plain Flour - For Rolling Out On
- Puff Pastry - For Lid, Amount Depends On Thickness
- Preheat oven to 190c and grease a 10 x 8 inch oven proof dish 2 ½ inches in depth.
- Onto a floured surface roll out the shortcrust pastry large enough to fill the dish. Line the dish with the pastry and prick the bottom several times with a fork and cook for 10 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
- Pour the boiling water into a large saucepan, add yeast extract, Worcestershire sauce and brown sauce, cook until dissolved.
- Add chunks, parsley, mint and browning. Bring to the boil then simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Place the cooked chunks with a little of the juice into a blender and blend to desired consistency. If you do not have a blender cut the chunks into very small pieces.
- Add carrot, potatoes and peas into the remainder of the juice from the chunks and cook for a further 10 minutes on a medium heat.
- Fry the onion in a frying pan with the olive oil until soft and add to the saucepan of vegetables.
- Add the blended chunks back into the saucepan and turn down to a low heat, stir well and cook for 10 minutes.
- Make up the gravy according to packet instructions and add to chunk mixture, stir well and cook for a further 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Onto a floured surface roll out the puff pastry to desired thickness large enough to make a lid. Out of the leftover pastry cut out heart shapes.
- Fill the pie with the chunk mixture and brush the edges with soya milk and place lid on top, press down the well and pierce several times.
- Decorate with pastry hearts and cook for 20 minutes on 180c.