If you want to save time with the pastry three course meals simply buy vegan ready made pastry. Pies are always a great main meal and this mushroom one is rich and filling, simply serve with you favourite vegetables.
- Plain Flour - 3 ozs (½ Cup), For Pastry
- Vegan Margarine - 2 ozs (¼ Cup), For Pastry
- Water - 2 Tbsp, For Pastry
- Thyme - ½ Tsp, For Pastry
- Salt - Pinch, For Pastry
- Soya Milk - For Glazing Pastry
- Red Onion - ½ Small, For Filling
- Mushrooms - 4, Chopped, For Filling
- Water - 60 mls (¼ Cup), For Filling
- Olive Oil - 2 Tbsp, For Filling
- Gravy Powder - 1 Tbsp, For Filling
- Thyme - ½ Tsp, For Filling
- Tarragon - ½ Tsp, For Filling
- Black Pepper - ½ Tsp, For Filling
- Pre heat the oven to 160c and grease a 6 by 6 inch pie dish, 1½ inches in depth.
- To make the pastry sieve the flour into a bowl and stir in the salt and thyme.
- Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and mix until a dough forms, knead gently for a minute.
- Roll out onto a floured surface. Cut out a lid and base. Place the base carefully into the pie dish.
- Peel and finely slice the onion and fry in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, black pepper and tarragon, stir well and cook for a further minute.
- Into a mug place the gravy powder gradually mix in the water then add to the mixture, bring to boil gently stirring all the time, then reduce heat and simmer for a minute.
- Carefully. put the mixture into the pie dish. Place the lid on top and glaze with milk. Pierce for air holes and if desired decorate with any left over pastry.
- Cook for 40 minutes and serve.