Irish Soda Bread
Irish soda bread is an easy bread to make and can be eaten on its own or part of a spread. Traditionally made with caraway seeds.
- Plain Flour - 8 ozs (2 Cups)
- Soft Light Brown Sugar - 4 ozs (½ Cup)
- Vegan Margarine - 4 ozs (½ Cup)
- Raisins - 3 ozs (½ Cup)
- Soya Milk - 100 mls (½ Cup)
- Seeds - 2 Tbsp
- Orange Juice - 1 Tbsp
- Baking Powder - ½ Tsp
- Baking Soda - ¼ Tsp
- Salt - ½ Tsp
- Icing Sugar - As Desired, Sieved, For Topping
- Soya Milk - For Glazing
- Plain Flour - For Rolling Out On
- Preheat oven to 180c and grease a medium sized baking tray.
- Into a bowl put the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the seeds, raisins and orange juice.
- Gradually add the milk until a dough forms. Place onto a floured surface and knead for 30 seconds.
- Make into a ball and place onto the baking tray. Flatten down slightly and make a cross over the top with a knife and brush with milk to glaze.
- Cook on the oven for 35 minutes. Before serving sprinkle all over with sieved icing sugar.