Cupcakes are great for any celebration and these apple ones with jelly shamrocks on top are perfect for a St Patrick’s Day party.
- Apple - 4 ozs (1 Cup), Coarsely Grated
- Soft Light Brown Sugar - 4 ozs (1 Cup)
- Water - 200 mls (1 Cup)
- Vegan Margarine - 4 ozs (½ Cup)
- Plain Flour - 10 oza (1 ¾ Cup), Sieved
- Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 Tsp
- Ground Cinnamon - 1 Tsp
- Ground Nutmeg - 1 Tsp
- Lemon Extract - 1 Tsp
- Baking Powder - 1 Tsp
- Icing Sugar - For Topping
- Sweets - Jelly, Green
- Into a large saucepan put the water, margarine, soft brown sugar, grated apple, cinnamon and nutmeg, stir well together.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180c, and place cup cases into a 12 hole muffin tray. Or like us, you could uses silicon cases.
- Gradually stir in the sieved flour and baking soda. Mix in the apple cider vinegar and lemon extract.
- Divide the mixture equally between the 12 cases and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. Cut the jelly sweets into shamrocks. We did this by cutting the edges of the sweets and making them into circles, three for the shamrock and a long piece for the stem.
- Place a spoonful of icing sugar on each cake and then carefully put one shamrock on top.