Victoria Sponge Cake
Victoria sponge cake is named after Queen Victoria who enjoyed sponge cake with her afternoon tea. It is two plain sponge cakes with jam and cream in the middle, we have used buttercream instead of cream, it has a dusting of icing sugar over the top.
- Vegan Margarine - 12 ozs (1 ½ Cups)
- Self Raising Flour - 12 ozs (3 Cups), Sieved
- Caster Sugar - 12 ozs (3 Cups)
- Icing Sugar - 4 ozs (1 Cup)
- Soft Dark Brown Sugar - 4 ozs (1 Cup)
- Egg Replacement - 6
- Soya Milk - 2 Tbsp
- Vanilla Essence - 1 Tsp
- Vegan Margarine - 2 ozs (¼ Cup), For Filling
- Icing Sugar - 4 ozs (1 Cup), For Filling
- Vanilla Essence - ½ Tsp, For Filling
- Strawberry Jam - 6 Tbsp, For Filling
- Icing Sugar - As Desired, Sieved, For Topping
- Vegan Margarine - For Greasing
- Preheat oven to 180c and grease two 7 inch round cake tins.
- Into a bowl mix the caster sugar and margarine until creamy.
- Make up egg replacer according to packet instructions and beat in the milk and vanilla essence, stir into bowl.
- Fold in the sieved flour gradually and mix well.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two cake tins.
- Cook in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream filling mix together the icing sugar, margarine and vanilla essence. We did this in a food mixer.
- Remove the cakes from the tins. Place one on a serving dish and spread with jam.
- Carefully spread the buttercream over the top and place the over cake on top.
- Sprinkle all over with sieved icing sugar and serve.