Historically cucumber sandwiches have been associated with the British upper classes of the Victorian era. We have used thick slices of cucumber instead of the more usual thin and our bread is a mixture of brown and white instead of just white bread.
- Spread the margarine over one side of each of the slices of bread.
- Peel the cucumber skin off with a potato peeler and keep for garnish.
- Slice the cucumber to desired thickness and place across one of the buttered bread slices.
- Cover with the other slice buttered side down.
- Cut the crusts off and cut into four triangles. Garnish with the peeled cucumber and serve.