Scones are a traditional British tea time treat which can be made either sweet or savoury. Handed down from generation to generation, this recipe has been adapted for the present vegan family. Scone like cone or Scone like gone, which ever way you say it, you with be delighted with the result of the following recipe!
There are three varieties of different flavoured scones. Each with their own special kick, so whether you prefer things cheesy, sweet or hot and spicy, we have a scone for you!
- Self Raising Flour - 6 ozs (1 ¼ Cups)
- Vegan Margarine - 2 ozs (½ Cup)
- Olive Oil - ½ Tsp
- Baking Powder - 1 Tsp
- Soya Milk - To Bind Mixture
- Raisins - 1 ozs (1 Cup), Only For Sweet Scones
- Caster Sugar - 1 ozs (¼ Cup), Only For Sweet Scones
- Vanilla Essence - ¼ Tsp, Only For Sweet Scones
- Garlic Granules - ½ Tsp, Only For Hot and Spicy Scones
- Mixed Herbs - ½ Tsp, Only For Hot and Spicy Scones
- Chilli Powder - ½ Tsp, Only For Hot and Spicy Scones
- Black Pepper - As Desired, Only For Hot and Spicy Scones
- Mustard Powder - ½ Tsp, Only For Cheesy Scones
- Nutritional Flakes - 2 Tbsp, Only For Cheesy Scones
- Salt - ¼ Tsp, Only For Cheesy Scones
- Preheat oven to 180c and grease baking sheet.
- Place flour, baking powder and margarine into a bowl and rub together, until a breadcrumb mixture is formed.
- Put in sweet, hot and spicy or cheesy ingredients and stir well. Add oil and enough milk to bind.
- Knead gently and turn out onto floured surface. Roll out to 1cms thick and cut into desired size. Put the cutter into flour before use so scones do not stick to sides.
- Place on greased baking sheet and glaze with milk. For sweet scones, sprinkle sugar on top.
- Cook for 15 minutes and cool on wire rack.