Tomato pie is very popular among American people of Italian and Sicilian heritage. There are plenty of variations and our version is no exception. We have substituted the usual pine nuts with mixed nuts.
- Puff Pastry - 8 ozs (1 Cup)
- Tomatoes - 1 Large Tin, Chopped, For Filling
- Red Onion - 1, Medium, Finely Sliced, For Filling
- Olive Oil - 2 Tbsp, For Filling
- Basil - 2 Tbsp, For Filling
- Silken Tofu - 8 ozs (1 Cup), For Topping
- Tomatoes - 1, Large, For Topping
- Mixed Nuts - 2 Tsp, Finely Chopped, For Topping
- Tomato Purée - 2 Tbsp, For Topping
- Salt - As Desired, For Topping
- Pepper - As Desired, For Topping
- Plain Flour - For Rolling Out On
- Vegan Margarine - For Greasing
- Preheat oven to 180c and grease an 10 inch oven proof flan dish at least 1 inch in depth. We have used a silicon one.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board large enough to fit inside the flan.
- Place the pastry carefully in the flan dish and press down. Line with greaseproof paper. Pour in dried beans, enough to cover the surface and cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Into a frying pan heat the onion and add the chopped onions, fry until tender on a medium heat. Add the chopped tomatoes and basil, stir well. Cook for 5 minutes on a low heat then remove from heat.
- Into a food processor blend the tofu until smooth add the tomato purée, salt and pepper to taste and blend again. Stir into frying pan mixture.
- Pour into flan dish and smooth over.
- Slice the tomato and arrange on top then sprinkle with nuts.
- Cook in oven for 40 minutes. Then turn off the oven and leave inside for one hour.