A Caesar salad is a salad made up of romaine lettuce, croutons, egg and cheese with a lemon and garlic dressing. For our version the cheese has been omitted but you could always add vegan cheese if you wish. We have replaced the egg with tofu.
- Bread - Cut Into Forty One Inch Cubes
- Silken Tofu - 4 ozs (½ Cup)
- Romaine Lettuce - 1, Medium
- Lemon Juice - From Half a Lemon
- Lime Juice - From Half a Lime
- Vegan Margarine - 2 Tbsp
- Vegan Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Soya Milk - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic Clove - 2, Crushed
- Olive Oil - 100 mls (½ Cup)
- Soya Sauce - ½ Tsp
- Mustard Powder - 1 Tsp
- Mixed Herbs - 1 Tsp
- Salt - As Desired
- Pepper - As Desired
- Olive Oil - 2 Tbsp, For Dressing
- Wash and shake dry the lettuce, place in a serving dish. Pour over 50mls (¼ Cup) of the olive oil and leave in fridge.
- To make the croutons heat 50mls (¼ Cup) of olive oil in a heavy large frying pan. Season with ¼ tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of black pepper, stir and add the bread cubes. Cook on a medium heat on all sides until golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool. We did ours in a table-top light fat frying machine that rotates the croutons.
- Melt the margarine in a small saucepan. Mash the tofu with a fork and add to saucepan along with ¼ tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of black pepper. Stir well and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- To make the dressing place the soya milk, salad cream or mayonnaise into a blender with garlic, lime juice, mustard powder, soya sauce and 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Mix until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Take the lettuce out of the fridge and break into smaller pieces. Place back into the serving bowl. Pour the dressing over.
- Add the tofu (and vegan cheese, if using it). Mix well and serve.